Thanks to Arms Mejilla we have a strong PSC chapter talking on Clubhouse in Asia Pacific.
This week they discussed Career Development & Elevating the role of Presales
- Set weekly, monthly and quarterly goals for yourself.
- It helps you prioritize specially when distracted with frequent spot fires that need to be put out
- Write them down. Don't underestimate the power of physical notes
- Define what success looks like to you, your team and your organization. Then align your goals to them
- Invest in yourself, identify the tech skills that will progress your career but also emphasize on soft skills that you need to work on
- Establish deep internal & external relationships!
- Customer relationships are important and very basic to the role. Make sure to always cover the potential technical blockers to the deal
- Internal cross-functional collaboration can greatly increase your visibility, enrich your career and elevate the presales role within the organization
- Sales partnerships (like training the sales team on product & positioning) are super important specially when most tech R&D and Product management teams are either in the US or Europe. APAC presales serve as an important bridge
- Relationship between presales & product management is very beneficial too. "I may not be able to answer that question, but I know who can"
- The best presales individuals are most often the most connected ones
- Other examples could be working with marketing (webinars, content creation & public speaking opportunities).
- Partner management and enablement are also worthwhile activities that presales can add value in